Step 1 in the online job search is LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com
- Sign up (it's free) and enter your education and a couple of former technical positions.
- Find a good head shot that you can use everywhere.
- Feel free to use a photo from years ago -- age discrimination is real.
- Search for people you've worked with and 'Connect' with them.
- Write a personal note, don't just use the canned one.
- As you enter people it should start suggesting others that you may know.
- If there's anyone you think might be a source of leads for jobs, then wait to add them until your profile is more complete.
Step 2 is Twitter: https://twitter.com
- you know the drill :)
- See if any of your connections from LinkedIn are on Twitter, and 'Follow' them.
- If there are any companies you're interested in working for, follow them as well.
An amazing amount of business gets done on Twitter. We are not all just posting what we had for lunch. ;) Keep it professional!
Step 3 is GitHub [TODO]